Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Massachusetts Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Massachusetts

Temporary IFTA Permit

This is a permit issued by the base jurisdiction to be carried in a qualified motor vehicle in lieu of the permanent annual decals. A temporary permit is vehicle-specific and is valid for a period of thirty (30) days to allow the carrier adequate time to affix the permanent decals. The temporary IFTA permit will be issued only to currently registered IFTA carriers.

Single Trip Permit

In lieu of registration in a motor fuel use tax program, an interstate motor carrier who operates commercial vehicles in Massachusetts must purchase a 72-hour trip permit at a cost of $20. Note: Under the same circumstances you may be required to purchase trip permits in other IFTA member jurisdictions, where prices and time periods may vary. Go to or call the Registry of Motor Vehicles at 857-368-8120 for information on single-trip permits.

Temporary Trip Permit

A Temporary Trip Permit is issued in lieu of IRP plates for travel within Massachusetts. The fee for a Temporary Massachusetts Trip Permit is $15 and is valid for 72 hours. Permits can be obtained through a permitting service, who will charge an additional processing fee.

Source of information: