Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Oregon Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Oregon

Trip Permit From Another State

You can drive in Oregon using your valid trip permit from another state. You must keep proof of insurance in the vehicle.

Heavy Motor Vehicle Trip Permit

Trip permits must be obtained PRIOR to operation. Motor carriers need this permit if:

  • The vehicle's gross weight is over 26,000 pounds and\or has 3 axles.
  • The vehicle(s) does not have registration (expired or no plates).
  • Oregon does not appear on the registration cab card.

Note: The truck driver must have the Registration or Cab Card for information.

Cost: $43 fee for 10 consecutive days.

Heavy Trailer Trip Permit

A permit is required for trailers which are not registered already.

Allows the use of unregistered:

  • Trailers with a loaded weight (ORS 801.330) over 8,000 pounds;
  • Fixed load trailers; or
  • Special use trailers.

Cost: $10 fee for 10 consecutive days.

Temporary Pass

Motor carriers are issued this permit when:

  • Validate payment of the weight mile tax is received up front.
  • The combined gross weight of truck, trailer and load exceeds 26,000 pounds.

Note: The max number of Temporary passes for an account is five or more for one unit or 35 in a rolling 12 month period.

Temporary Registration Weight Increase

This credential is issued to temporarily increase Commercial or Apportioned registration weight of a vehicle for a period of ten days.

The following uses for this credential are decided on a case by case basis.

  • Declare tax paid at a higher weight for the vehicle.
  • Obtain an oversize or overweight permit when operating over 80,000 pounds and/or legal load dimensions.
  • Get a special permit such as Road Use Assessment Fees by way of a Single Trip Permit.

Source of information: