Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Montana Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Montana

Temporary Trip Permit

The time limit on all temporary trip permits shall be 72 hours. For extension of temporary trip permits, see additional information in this rule.

Vehicles used by displays or exhibitions (including circuses and carnivals) may be permitted to cover the period of their schedule for a single trip through the state. The last date the vehicle is to be in Montana is shown as the expiration date on all temporary trip permits issued to displays, exhibitions, carnivals, and circuses. Maximum permit fees must be paid.

A trip shall be the total number of miles traveled in Montana on public highways, roads and streets by each vehicle.

Each single vehicle or each vehicle in a combination with a gross weight of over 6,000 pounds requires a temporary trip permit if one or more of the following conditions apply:

  • vehicles titled or domiciled in a state not having a reciprocal agreement with the state of Montana;
  • nonreciprocal dealer plates;
  • commercial busses or charter busses operating from nonreciprocal states;
  • house trailers being transported for sale or resale by use of nonreciprocal dealers plates;
  • nonreciprocal transit plates or reciprocal transit plates displayed on vehicles operated by a carrier whose base state of operation does not have a reciprocal agreement with Montana;
  • nonresident vehicles traveling with incorrect G.V.W. registration or licenses;
  • all nonresident trucks or trailers not carrying appropriate registration identification showing state of domicile, including interstate fleet vehicles not licensed by agreements;
  • all nonresident vehicles a part of an interstate fleet not licensed as required by agreements, including vehicles without proper papers;
  • all nonresident vehicles hauling loads in excess of license of state of domicile;
  • any nonresident vehicles not currently licensed in any jurisdiction; or
  • all government vehicles leased by commercial enterprises.

Exceptions are:

  • nonresident interstate vehicles properly licensed from states with which Montana has reciprocity on gross weight fees;
  • nonresident house trailers towed for personal use through Montana properly licensed in another state, the principal use of which is living quarters;
  • nonresident vehicles traveling on Montana trip permits are not required to purchase Montana license plates;
  • Montana temporary trip permits shall not be issued to resident vehicles;
  • trailers drawn by trucks or tractors licensed under Schedule I fees are not subject to trip permits if currently licensed and the registration receipt accompanies the vehicle;
  • two axle vehicles not exceeding 26,000 pounds licensed in an international registration plan jurisdiction unless required by a reciprocal agreement;
  • vehicle or combination of vehicles not exceeding 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight licensed in an IRP jurisdiction unless required by a reciprocal agreement; or
  • government vehicles operated by government personnel.

Nonresident vehicles licensed with a temporary trip permit may perform an intrastate movement.

The Department of Transportation, Motor Carrier Services Division may authorize an extension of a trip permit up to 15 days for the following reasons:

  1. A delay due to mechanical breakdown;
  2. Hazardous conditions;
  3. Any other circumstances beyond control of the permittee that result in a delay; or
  4. When a weekend or holiday prevents unloading or loading of the vehicle, for the period of the weekend or the holiday.

The Department of Transportation may designate agents to sell temporary trip permits.

Source of information: