Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Louisiana Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Louisiana

Louisiana Trip Permit

Vehicles which are registered in another state can operate on LA highways by either obtaining credentials from their state which indicate the vehicle has paid appropriate fees for the State of Louisiana or by obtaining a temporary permit which allows them to operate on Louisiana highways for forty-eight (48) continuous hours.

Forty-eight (48) hour trip permits are issued by the Louisiana State Police - DPS Weight Enforcement Division Port of Entry Scales, Office of Motor Vehicles (that process IRP) and wire service providers which have been pre-approved by the Assistant Secretary of the Office of Motor Vehicles.


Any truck that is properly registered in another state which does not have an apportioned license plate with the State of Louisiana indicated on the cab card is eligible for a forty-eight (48) hour trip permit.


  • Proof of current registration in base state.
  • $50 (certified funds, or cash if paying in person)

Source of information: