Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Wisconsin Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Wisconsin

72-hour trip permits (Trip and Fuel Permits)

Wisconsin’s 72-hour trip permits authorize one round-trip into and out of Wisconsin. For vehicles registered in Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota, a trip permit is needed beyond the reciprocity zones.

Only applicants wishing to move vehicles into Wisconsin that are not registered in Wisconsin nor enrolled into either IRP or IFTA are eligible for 72-hour trip permits. Applicants who want to move unregistered vehicles within or out of Wisconsin are not eligible. The 72-hour trip permit may not be purchased to authorize movement of unregistered vehicles for trips beginning in Wisconsin.

Exempt "for hire" carriers operating intrastate must have Wisconsin authority and insurance on file prior to obtaining a trip permit.

US Department of Transportation exempt "for hire" carriers must have Wisconsin authority and insurance on file prior to obtaining a trip permit.

Most applicants buy both registration and fuel, but the temporary registration and the in-lieu-of fuel tax portions may be purchased separately. The fee for each part is $15, for a total of $30 if both are purchased.

Payment may be made with a valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or ACH (Automated Clearing House) payment from your checking or savings account. Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payment.

This permit is not accepted in electronic format and must be presented in paper form. Please print the final permit.

Source of information: