Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Pennsylvania Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Pennsylvania

Fuel Permit 

Motor Carriers operating qualifying motor vehicles that do not wish to participate in the IFTA program must obtain trip permits to travel through IFTA member jurisdictions, according to the laws and regulations of each jurisdiction.  A trip permit to travel through Pennsylvania costs $73 and is valid for five days. This fee does not include additional processing/administrative fees that may be charged by the permitting agency.

Trip Permit

Pennsylvania is a member of the International Registration Plan (IRP), which is an agreement providing for registration reciprocity among member Jurisdictions. Vehicles weighing in excess of 26,000 lbs. that are non-apportioned registered vehicles requiring temporary interstate travel must; obtain a temporary trip permit or be apportioned registered. A 72-hour trip permit is required before operating an apportionable vehicle in Pennsylvania.

To qualify as an apportionable vehicle, the power unit that is used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, and:

  • has two Axles and a gross Vehicle weight or registered gross Vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms), or
  • has three or more Axles, regardless of weight, or
  • is used in combination, when the gross Vehicle weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms).

Source of information: