Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Ontario Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Ontario

Special Permit

A special permit can be used to drive a vehicle in Ontario for 10 days starting from the date it is issued. It can’t be ordered in advance or renewed online.

You can only apply for 2 special permits in 12 months (for passenger vehicles).

With a special permit, you can temporarily:

  • drive or transport a passenger vehicle through Ontario without registering it in the province;
  • exceed the weight limit displayed on the permit for a commercial vehicle, if you are relocating it for business purposes (e.g., an auto auction or to and from dealerships).

Note: When you’re using a special permit, don’t display any other plate on your vehicle or trailer in a position that could confuse the identity of the special permit.

Passenger Vehicles

You can get a special permit for a passenger vehicle, if you:

  • import the vehicle from outside the province or country and do not intend to register it in Ontario;
  • are a new resident to Ontario and recently bought the vehicle (you have 30 days to register the vehicle in the province);
  • are moving the vehicle to or from an auto auction;
  • have a “fit” vehicle that is at least 20 years old and doesn’t have the necessary documents to satisfy the retail sales tax registration requirements.

Commercial Vehicles

You can get a special permit for a commercial vehicle, if you are:

  • transporting a vehicle or trailer;
  • towing a vehicle or trailer;
  • carrying goods;
  • carrying more than 2 passengers (buses only).

To get a special permit, you need:

  • the current vehicle permit, indicating that the vehicle’s status is “fit” or a “tmp” vehicle permit with a valid safety standard certificate;
  • the back of the vehicle permit (the ownership) signed by the owner (if you do not own the vehicle);
  • the name of your insurance company and the policy number;
  • identification document proving legal name, date of birth and signature;
  • a completed application for special permit (also available at any ServiceOntario centre).

Cost and Delivery

Passenger vehicle: $23

Commercial vehicle (gross weight under 4500 kgs): $23

Laden commercial vehicle (gross weight over 4500 kgs) or bus, without trailer: $114

Laden commercial vehicle or bus, towing a trailer: $201

You need to pay fees to purchase a special permit. Fees vary based on vehicle class.

Payment: Visa, MasterCard, debit, cash, certified cheque

Delivery: You will get the Special Permit at the ServiceOntario centre.

Single Trip Fuel Permit

If you do not have a valid IFTA licence and occasionally travel into other jurisdictions, you can buy a single trip permit. The permit can be purchased on a trip-by-trip basis from authorized permit agents.

A single trip permit allows qualified vehicles conditional travel in another jurisdiction. The permit is valid for one vehicle making a single journey into another jurisdiction for a pre-determined distance and time period. Single trip permits may also include other fees in addition to the fuel tax.

For Fuel Trip Permit see

Source of information: