Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Florida Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Florida

Florida Trip Permit Requirements

A Florida IRP Trip Permit is required for any vehicle that is operating in Florida with a non-IRP registration issued in a jurisdiction other than Florida. The Florida IRP Trip Permit is valid for ten (10) days for a fee of $30.00 (plus wire service fees) and is available through one of the various wire service companies. Out-of-state carriers MUST secure a Trip Permit prior to entering the State of Florida. The Trip Permit must remain with the vehicle while in the state. Florida-based carriers that do not have an IRP registration and need to travel in another jurisdiction, must either contact that jurisdiction to obtain a trip permit, or register their vehicle under the IRP in Florida.

Temporary Fuel Use Permit Requirements

Vehicles subject to the provisions of Chapter 207, Florida Statutes, (fuel taxes) must secure an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) decal or a Temporary Fuel Use Permit before operating over Florida highways or the highways of any IFTA jurisdiction.

Any vehicle NOT in compliance with the following WILL need a Fuel-Use Permit or IFTA Trip Permit:

  • Your truck or tractor licensing is based in Florida
  • Florida is listed on your Apportioned Registration CAB card
  • Your truck or tractor's registered weight DOES NOT exceed 26,000 lb.
  • Your vehicle DOES NOT have 3 or more axles
  • Your truck has an IFTA sticker
  • Your vehicle is used only for recreational purposes
  • Your vehicle is government-owned.

Expiration Time - Permits are valid for 10 days from the date of issue, and must be carried in the vehicle at all times while you're in Florida.

Source of information: