Weight and Dimension Restrictions
Definition of an Oversize/Overweight Vehicle
- Any vehicle in excess of 80,000 pounds gross weight;
- Any vehicle in excess of 13' 6" in height;
- Any vehicle in excess of 8' 6" in width;
- Any vehicle in excess of 75' in length.
- Permit requests received after 4 pm will be reviewed the next business day;
- Applications must be submitted 24 hours in advance of intended hauling time;
- Permits that are not received within the 24 hour notification period may be issued by the requested move date and time;
- Applications must be submitted online;
- Applications will no longer be accepted via fax;
- The application can be found at the bottom of this page under oversize vehicle documents;
- Applicants shall provide the City of York proof of liability insurance with a coverage limitation of not less than one million dollars.
- An application for a hauling permit shall be filed with the Department of Public Works at least 24 hours in advance of intended hauling, per Codified Ordinance, section 513.08(a). Each application must include a valid permit issued by PennDot (if applicable). *Applicant shall provide to the City of York proof of liability insurance with a coverage limitation of not less than one million dollars, per Codified Ordinance 513.08, section (c)2.
- York City Escort Requirements: one vehicle required if over 11' in total width or in excess of 75' in length. Two vehicles required if over in both width 11' and length 75' - Per City of York Codified Ordinance §513.08, section (f)6.
Fees & Costs
- $50.00 Permit Fee/Movement * Plus: Fifty ($.50) for each 1,000 pounds (or fraction thereof) over & above 80,000 pounds gross vehicle weight per movement - Per City of York Codified Ordinance §513.08, section (c)3.
- The permit is valid for 5 calendar days after the date of issuance Per City of York Codified Ordinance §513.08, section (c)4.
For York City Oversize/Overweight Permit Application see https://www.yorkcity.org/city-services/departments/public-works/oversized-vehicles/oversized-vehicles-2/