- City Oversize Overweight Permits And Regulations
- Savannah Oversize/Overweight Permit And Regulations
Savannah Oversize/Overweight Permit And Regulations
Note: For state regulations, see OD Regulations By State
Weight and Dimension Restrictions
When the below conditions apply, no vehicles can transport such loads on City streets without an approved Oversize Permit issued by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) as well as the City of Savannah Oversize Load/Move Permit. Loads are considered when any of the following apply:
- Exceeds the height of 13 feet, 6 inches
- Width in excess of 8 feet, 6 inches
- Length of over 65 feet
All persons, contractors, and other agencies must obtain the Oversize Load/Move Permit which must be approved by the Traffic Engineering Department, Park & Tree Department, and Savannah Chatham Metro Police Department - Traffic Division.
- Applicants shall submit the approved oversized load permit issued by GDOT along with the City application form and proposed route.
- The application form is sent to the Police Department and Park & Tree Department for review.
- The Traffic Engineer, or designee, will . inspect the requested route and determine if it is suitable for the proposed oversized load.
- The application will be approved once the Park & Tree Department has approve the requested route, and the Police Department has approved the time and date set for the move to insure a police escort can be provided.
- The Traffic Engineering Department will determine the most appropriate date and time for the move so any disruption of traffic is as minimal as possible.
- An electrical escort will be required if overhead utilities and/or traffic signals are in conflict with the move. The cost of the electrical escort is $52.00 per hour during operating hours and $81.00 per hour after normal operating hours.
- Traffic control equipment; signal heads, controllers, and/or strain poles may be moved before the move at the expanse of the applicant.
- The applicant is responsible for making arrangements with the Police Department to coordinate the police escort (if required).
- The applicant is responsible for the cost of any tree trimming performed by the Park & Tree Department necessary for oversized loads to travel City street.
- The applicant shall make arrangements with the affected utility companies for relocation or removal of utility facilities.
For Oversize/Overweight Permit Application see https://www.savannahga.gov?1145/Oversize-LoadMove-Permit