Weight and Dimension Restrictions
- If 14 feet or over begin checking signal height clearance;
- Look at the restricted structures map to check for bridge heights;
- If the height of the load is one inch less than the single height or over the signal height in the best route then a police escort is required;
- If the load height exceeds the signal height the driver will be required to contact the signal shop to determine if they need to be there;
- If over 13'7" - 14' requires permit;
- 14'1" - 16'6" - requires front and rear escorts;
- 16'7" - 17' - requires front, rear and police escorts;
- 17'1" and over - requires front, rear and police escorts and is mandatory night move.
- Over 8'6" - requires a City permit;
- Over 10'6" - requires a front and rear escort;
- Over 14'-0" - requires a front, rear and police escort;
- Over 17'-0" - requires front, rear and police escorts and is mandatory night move;
- Over 12' - requires Amber Lights on the load.
- Over 85'-0" - requires a front and rear escort;
- Over 100'-0" - requires a front, rear and police escort;
- 129'-0" and over - requires front, rear and police escorts and is mandatory night move;
- Over 75' - requires Amber Lights on the load.
- Single Axle permitted - 24,000 pounds;
- Tandem Axle permitted - 44,000 pounds;
- Tridem Axle permitted - 54,000 pounds;
- Quad Axle permitted - 64,500 pounds;
- Gross weight 80,000 pounds and under are at legal weights;
- No Single Axle weight should exceed 24,000 pounds. Take the gross weight and divide by the number of axles as a guideline.
City of Portsmouth official website https://www.portsmouthva.gov/168/Official-Forms
For City of Portsmouth Hauling Permit Application see https://www.portsmouthva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/141/Oversize-and-Overweight-Hailing-Permit-Application-PDF
For City of Portsmouth Hauling Permits Summary Sheet see https://portsmouthva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/3165/Hauling-Summary-Sheet?bidld=