Weight and Dimension Restrictions
Oversize and overweight vehicles are required to have the appropriate permits to travel on the roadways in Colorado Springs. A single, annual, and/or house move permit is required if the lengths, heights, and/or weights of a vehicle exceed the legal load and size limits listed below. For additional requirements that may prevail governing specific length, height, width, and weight please see Colorado Revised Statutes § 42-4-501 through 42-4-512.
Legal Load and Size Limits on City Streets
Weights are total gross weights of vehicle plus load.
Please note: Weights cannot exceed existing weight limitations.
- Maximum Weight on any one axle (with low pressure tires): 20,000 pounds;
- Maximum Gross Weight of Single Vehicle with two axles: 36,000 pounds;
- Maximum Gross Weight of Single Vehicle with three or more axles: 54,000 pounds;
- W = 1,000 (L+40), W=the gross weight in pounds, L=the length in feet between the centers of the first and last axles of such vehicles or combination of vehicles, but in computation of the first and last axles of such vehicles or combination of vehicles, but in computation of this formula no gross vehicle weight shall exceed 85,000 pounds;
- Maximum Height (Total distance from ground to top part of load): 13'0";
- Maximum Width: 8'6";
- Maximum Length of any Single Vehicle: 45'0";
- Maximum Length of any Combination of Vehicle: 70'0"
For more details and permit application form see https://coloradosprings.gov/public-works/page/oversizeoverweight-load-permits