Maximum Legal Weight Allowed
Your truck requires a permit if it exceeds:
- Motor vehicle (2 axles) - 46,000 lbs.
- Vehicle or vehicle combination (3 axles) - 73,000 lbs.
- Vehicle or vehicle combinations (4 axles) - 87,000 lbs.
- Vehicle or vehicle combinations (5+ axles) - 99,000 lbs.
Your truck will also require a permit if the weight on any axle exceeds:
- Axles spaced less than 6 ft. apart - 18,000 lbs.
- Axles spaced more than 6 ft. apart - 22,400 lbs.
- Overall gross weight of 2 or more consecutive axles - 80,000 lbs.
Maximum Permit Weight Allowed
Special Hauling Permit
You may need a special hauling permit depending on the size of your truck and its load. If your vehicle falls under these restrictions, then your permit will not require a fee:
- 12' 0" Wide Load Banner & Flags
- 13' 6" Height
- 99,000 lbs. max
- 100' Long (up to 80' long no escort is needed)
If your vehicle exceeds the above restrictions, it may also require a police escort. If your vehicle exceeds any of these restrictions, you will have to pay a fee.
Requirements for vehicles over 80' long:
- one private escort is required for vehicles from 80'1" to 85'
- two private escorts are required for vehicles from 85'1" to 100'
Requirements for vehicles traveling in the tunnels:
- wide loads from 8'6" to 12' must have private escort(s)
Fees for Requesting a Special Hauling Permit
- Special Hauling Permit (Within Restrictions) - $0 each unit
- Special Hauling Permit (Exceeds Restrictions) - $350 each unit
Source of information: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/commercial-truck-regulationsCalculate Oversize/Overweight Load Regulations and Prices Instantly with Oversize.io