Weight and Dimension Restrictions
If the dimensions of the vehicle combination or non-divisible load, or both, exceed one or more of the following statutory limitations listed below, a permit is required.
- Gross Weight - 80,000 pounds (no matter the number of axles o axle groups provided);
- Single Axle - 20,000 pounds or 650 pounds per inch of tire width in contact with the surface of the highway;
- Tandem Axle - 34,000 pounds
- Width - 8 feet 6 inches excluding mirrors (safety devices not to exceed 3 inches on each side);
- Height - 13 feet 6 inches;
- Length - Single Unit Vehicle: 40 feet excluding load overhang; Combination of a Towing Vehicle and any Trailer Type: 53 feet provided the spacing between the kingpin of the trailer and rearmost axle or a point midway between the rear tandem axles does not exceed 41'.
- Twin Trailers - over dimensional twin trailers will not be permitted;
- Front Overhang: Exceeding 3 feet from front axle;
- Rear Overhang: Exceeding 4 feet from rear axle.
For Overdimensional Policy brochure and Overdimensional Permit Application Form see https://www.nngov.com/950/Permits-Applications