Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads

  • Instantly Determine Permit & Escort Costs
  • Calculate Max Legal/Permitted Axle Weights
  • Understand Equipment Limits
See How It Works

Newfoundland And Labrador Trip And Fuel Permit - IRP and IFTA permits for Newfoundland And Labrador

Single Trip Commercial Vehicle Registration

Any commercial motor vehicle that is operating on our roads must be registered, as per the Highway Traffic Act section 13:

(1) A commercial motor vehicle owned and operated by or on behalf of a non-resident shall not be operated in the province unless it is registered under this Act.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a commercial motor vehicle registered or licensed in a jurisdiction outside the province that allows the commercial motor vehicles under this Act to be operated on the highways of that jurisdiction without requiring the registration or licensing of those vehicles in that jurisdiction.


Therefore any commercial motor vehicle must meet one of the following criteria to operate in Newfoundland and Labrador:

  • Be registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) opens new window.
  • It is a cooperative agreement for registering vehicles that travel into two or more jurisdictions. The IRP provides for payment of licensing fees based on fleet distance operated. The unique feature of the IRP is that although license fees are paid to the base jurisdiction and distributed to various jurisdictions in which fleet vehicles are operated, only 1 license plate (or set of plates) and 1 cab card is issued for each fleet vehicle.
  • In the case of a power unit or power unit trailer combination having a registered weight of less than 11,794 kg, be registered and licensed in another province of Canada.
  • Be registered under the single trip commercial vehicle registration. The vehicle would only qualify for a maximum of 3 trips a year as outlined in the fees policy section 7. There is a $75.00 licensing fee per trip per vehicle.

Fuel Tax Permit

A person who operates a motor vehicle is required to be registered under section 17.1 of the Gasoline Tax Act. Anyone whom is not registered as required by that section commits an offence under this Act. Therefore any motor vehicle operating in Newfoundland and Labrador must have one of the following criteria:

  1. Be registered with International Fuel Tax Association (IFTA) opens new window;
  2. Buy a fuel tax permit which costs $150.00 per trip.

Source of information: