When driving through work zones, even the smallest mistake can be deadly. These simple tips could save your life in a work zone:
- Think Orange! When you see orange signs, cones and barrels, expect a roadside work zone ahead.
- Stay alert! Look for reduced speed limits, narrow driving lanes and highway workers.
- Pay attention. Work zone signs will tell you exactly what to expect ahead.
- Merge early. If drivers merge as soon as they see the signs, traffic will flow more smoothly.
- Slow down. You may encounter slowed or stopped traffic in an instant.
- Don’t follow too closely. Maintain a safe distance on all sides of your vehicle.
- Minimize distractions. Remember Maryland State law bans hand-held cell phones and texting.
- Plan ahead. Expect delays and allow extra travel time. Select an alternate route if you are running late. Learn about current and planned lane closures with 511 or MDOT SHA’s Coordinated Highways Response Team web site at http://chart.state.md.us/
http://www.chart.state.md.us/map/Calculate Oversize/Overweight Load Regulations and Prices Instantly with Oversize.io