Escort Vehicle Safety Requirements
- A required escort vehicle shall accompany the overweight or over-dimensional vehicle at a distance of 300 feet (91.44 meters) on open highways unless it is necessary to travel at a distance closer or farther away from the vehicle accompanied for safety or due to road conditions.
- Post appropriate signs on the vehicle.
- A warning sign shall be displayed on a lead escort vehicle so that it is visible to oncoming traffic.
- The warning sign shall be 6 to 8 feet in width stating "OVERSIZE LOAD" in black letters on a yellow background.
- The black letters shall be at least 18 inches high (457.2 millimeters) with a brush stroke of at least one and 1.4 inches (35.56 millimeters).
- Maintain radio contact with the load.
- Have amber strobe lights or flashing lights on the escort vehicle.
- Keep its headlamps lit during transit.
- Use a height pole if the escorted load is 15 feet or greater.
Source of information: https://drive.ky.gov/motor-carriers/Pages/OWOD-Escort-Requirements.aspx Calculate Oversize/Overweight Load Regulations and Prices Instantly with Oversize.io