Simplify Your Oversize/Overweight Loads
1. A permittee transporting an oversize or overweight vehicle or load shall use all escort vehicles required by the Department as a condition of special permit issuance under this Chapter.
2. The Department shall determine whether one or more escort vehicles must accompany an oversize or overweight special permitted vehicle by considering the following in relation to the proposed transport and route:
3. According to the criteria applicable under subsection (A)(2), the Department shall require two or more oversize or overweight special permitted vehicles traveling together to be accompanied by at least one escort vehicle per load.
1. A vehicle qualifies as an escort vehicle if it:
2. An escort vehicle operator, except for a law enforcement escort, while in service under this Chapter shall:
i. Fire extinguishers;
ii. Warning devices for stopped vehicles; and
iii. Emergency staff-mounted warning flags;
i. Constructed for escort vehicles as provided under R17-6-303, Illustration 2;
ii. Mounted above the vehicle’s roofline and visible to approaching traffic from the front and rear;
iii. Accompanied by two flags, one mounted on each side of the oversize load sign; and
iv. Concealed when not in use; and
i. Capable of transmitting and receiving a minimum of 1/2 mile; and
ii. Compatible with the two-way radios used by the driver of the escorted vehicle, law enforcement escorts, and all other accompanying escort vehicles.
1. Lighting requirement. While in service, an escort vehicle operator shall maintain continuous illumination of headlights and overhead warning lights as prescribed under A.R.S. § 28-947.
2. Lead and follow distance. An escort vehicle operator shall maintain a lead or follow distance from an escorted vehicle that generally does not exceed 1,500 feet on an open state highway or 250 feet in an urban setting. When determining the appropriate lead or follow distance, an escort vehicle operator shall:
3. Stop provisions at an intersection with a traffic control signal.
Source of information: https://apps.azsos.gov/public_services/Title_17/17-06.pdfCalculate Oversize/Overweight Load Regulations and Prices Instantly with Oversize.io